Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Wesley's birthday

Saturday, March 14th is Wesley's birthday. My little bear will be 6. Can you believe it? It's hard for me to recall how much we've been through in 6 years. But it's been a lot. And here we are still happy, still blessed, and still going strong. It's been five years since we've been introduced to FA. FA has changed us in so many ways. Mostly for the positive at this point. But it has also broken our hearts many times. It has produced compassion and understanding. Heartache and tears. Forever friendships and bonds that will withstand all. I don't know how we got here, or where we are going but we are reluctantly going along for this ride. Smiling and laughing as we go. Crying when we hit those bumps along the way. I hope the road will smooth until we reach the end. But is it ever really the end? Or do we just get off at the final exit that takes us to a beautiful eternity? Yeah, the road never ends.

Please take some time to wish Wesley a Happy Birthday. The other day he asked about a necklace I was wearing that has two four-fingered hands on it representing kids with FA. He asked what Fanconi Anemia was. I told him he has Fanconi Anemia and he was confused. So funny to me because I thought he knew he had FA but I guess not. I explained to him that was why he wore a hearing aid and why his hands looked different. I reminded him of all the kids he knew that also had FA like him. And then I said that if he didn't have FA, we wouldn't get to go to Camp Sunshine and that was the deal sealer right there! He beamed and later that day he was singing some song and putting the words Fanconi Anemia to it. My little bear. I told him he steals my heart. He asked what that meant and I explained it. A few days later Quinn came downstairs and said, "Mom, you know what Wesley just said to me?" I thought oh geez, now what came out of his mouth. "He said I steal his heart." And she was beaming. Why I am so blessed is beyond me.

Hugs,
Kristin

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Early Birthday Wesley!! This is Erica from Camp Sunshine...a counselor for many years now! I hope you have a GREAT birthday!!!! Also, to Kristen...I don't know where you got this FA necklace from, but I would LOVE one! I am always trying to raise awareness for FA, and when people ask about my bracelet, I am able to let someone else know about this illness that no one knows about! I hope all is going well in Maine, hopefully you're thawing out like we are in MA! Please feel free to email me...Theresa has my email address and my permission to share it! :)

Charisse said...

Happy Birthday Wesley! You are so sweet. Yep, having Fanconi Anaemia makes you really special :-) I hope you have a wonderful day on your birthday and have heaps of fun!!!

Hey Kristin,
that is beautiful how you explained FA to him. I had no idea you could get those necklaces :-) He certainly does steal everyone's hearts!
Also, thank you for your beautiful messages that you have left me. I am blessed to have a friend like you. Thank you (((HUGS)))
Love Charisse

Anonymous said...

hi, happy birthday!
(that was from Tyler)

Happy Birthday, Wesley! I can hardly believe you're about to be 6 years old! Wow. That Really Old. Do you feel Really Old? We are excited to see you at Camp again this summer!

love,
rachel

Mary Ann Fiaschetti said...

Wesley,
Happy 6th birthday! We are so happy to be in the same FAmily. And, yes, Fanconi anemia kids are so special that they get invited to Camp Sunshine their entire life! It makes Peter happy knowing this too.
Many hugs and wishing you a wonderful day,
the Fiaschetti FAmily
Mary Ann, David, Joey and Peter

Bayly 345 said...

Happy Birthday, Wesley!
I was a Camp Sunshine volunteer during FA week in summer 2007! I absolutely loved getting to hang out with you there! You are awesome! Enjoy your 6th birthday (it's a great one) and hope to see you at camp again!!

Your friend,
Bayly

Anonymous said...

Happy 6th Birthday Wesley!!! Wow, I can't believe where the time goes!! I am so happy you are doing so wonderful!! I love catching up with what is going on in your world by what your mom writes. Sometimes it makes me laugh really hard and cry as well!!! I miss you guys and think of you often!! Take Care (Big Hugs), Comm Garden Teacher, Courtney :)

Teresa said...

I'm a loser! I meant to come and leave a message on his b-day.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY WESLEY!

I know Emma is six, but I still can't believe that Wesley is six. Six makes them seem so much older! And they are so adorably cute at this age (and all other ages).

I felt like you were writing my feelings exactly when you were describing FA. It's almost like there is a love/hate relationship. Love it because of how it's made me view and appreciate life. Love it because of the friends and incredible people we've met that we wouldn't have otherwise. Love it because it is such a part of my baby. Then hate it because of what it's doing and what it's going to take away. And, I agree with you about the beautiful eternity...

Emma has recently been asking more about FA related things too...about her hands and why she has blood work done, etc. It breaks my heart telling her, but she doesn't know that;-)

And that is adorably sweet that he told his sister that she steals his heart!

Hugs...and hope to see you this year. Oh, and I WILL respond to your email some day hopefully soon. It's been in the works for a bit now.

Unknown said...

I hope you had a great birthday Wesley! :-)

Amanda

Momma Bear said...

Happy Birthday Wesley! I hope it was as sweet as you! Sorry I'm late but I didn't get that post!

Hmmmm, Kristen, maybe you are blessed because you bless others!
Love you all!
Blessings and Bear Hugs,

Anonymous said...

Wesley~ Happy, happy day, sweet guy! We love you oodles and poodles and even wet noodles. Love, Karen, Steve, Ty, Zoe, CeCe, and Lena!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm sure you don't remember me but I volunteered with Wesley and Quinn for Camp Sunshine last summer. I have some great pictures back from camp if you ever wanted me to send them! Just e-mail me at rburroughs1024@aol.com
I miss them both, they were truly the best part of my summer.

Thanks,

Rachael

Andrew said...

Happy Birthday Wesley! You probably don't remember me, but my friends (Rachael, Monica, Jennifer, Sean, and Robert) and I were all volunteers at Camp Sunshine last summer and really enjoyed meeting you and your family! We miss all of our friends with FA, especially Wesley, and wish you a very happy 6th birthday!

Your friends,
Andrew, Sean, Robert, Rachael, Monica, and Jennifer